The cancellation of The Last of Us Online was already a major loss of time for Naughty Dog. A new report makes the cost harder to ignore: Bloomberg reporter Jason Schreier said the project had reached “hundreds of millions” of dollars before it was shelved. Sony has never published an audited budget for the game, so that phrase is a reported estimate, not a final number from the company. It still shows why this cancellation is a problem for Sony’s live-service plan: the money matters, but the years of studio time may matter more. Schreier’s August 19 discussion also puts the project next to the next game Naughty Dog eventually moved toward, Intergalactic: The Heretic Prophet.

Naughty Dog canceled a game that needed years of support

Naughty Dog announced the cancellation on December 14, 2023. The multiplayer project had been in pre-production since The Last of Us Part II, and the studio said it had grown into a full standalone game rather than a small online mode. A live-service game needs updates, events, technical support, and new content after launch. Naughty Dog said supporting that plan for years would require all of its resources. The studio’s official statement said that commitment would leave little room for future single-player games. The choice was not between a finished game and an unfinished game; it was between turning Naughty Dog into a live-service studio or continuing the narrative-driven work that has defined the company. Naughty Dog chose the latter.

The statement did not say the multiplayer game had failed private testing or that its design was unusable. It described a staffing problem that would begin after launch and continue for years. That distinction matters because a project can be close to release and still be the wrong long-term responsibility for the studio making it.

The game may have been close to finished

Former Naughty Dog game director Vinit Agarwal later described the project as about 80% complete and “very, very close to done.” GameSpot reported those comments in April 2026. Agarwal’s account suggests the team had made substantial progress, but it does not reveal the final build, the internal testing results, or Sony’s total spending. It is one former developer’s description, not a replacement for an official budget or cancellation post. GameSpot’s report