Electronic Arts is already private, but the people making its games say the $55 billion buyout has not made the future feel safer. Multiple current employees told Game Developer that they now assume layoffs are a constant possibility. That is a report about the mood inside EA, not an announcement that a new round of cuts has begun.

EA has not published a new layoff total, named studios for closure, or announced a restructuring schedule. The company’s deal with Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund, Silver Lake, and Affinity Partners did close on August 4, and the new owners have promised investment. The tension comes from what employees think has to happen next to pay for the deal.

The sale is finished, but the anxiety did not end

The closing is a confirmed business event. EA’s announcement says the consortium now owns the company, Andrew Wilson remains CEO, and the new owners want to invest in creativity and growth. EA also stopped being a publicly traded company, which changes how much information workers and players can expect to see about the company’s finances.

The employee reaction is a separate kind of evidence. Game Developer spoke with current workers who asked to remain anonymous because they feared reprisals. Their concern is not that EA has already handed them a termination notice; it is that vague reassurances have done little to explain how jobs, projects, and teams will be protected after the buyout.

Electronic Arts studio leads gather around a workstation in an official EA photo.
Electronic Arts studio leads in an official company photo. Image: Electronic Arts.

Why “no immediate changes” is not reassuring everyone

EA previously told employees that the transaction would not cause immediate changes to their jobs. That wording leaves a lot of room around the word “immediate.” The employee FAQ filed with the SEC said the company believed it could keep investing while carrying new debt, but it did not promise that every studio, project, or role would remain unchanged forever.