Riot Games is ending active development on 2XKO at the end of 2026, but the free-to-play fighting game is not disappearing. In an August 20 update, Riot said the servers will stay online, the game will remain playable, and the team will finish a short final content plan before moving into maintenance.
That distinction matters for anyone who has already put time or money into 2XKO. New seasons, ranked play, and several live-service systems are being removed, but the core tag-team fighter will still be available on PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X|S.
2XKO will keep running after active development ends
Riot is not announcing a server shutdown for December. The official update says 2XKO will remain online beyond the end of 2026, and players will still be able to download and play it for free. Offline play is also planned to remain available. The game’s official announcements page lists the same PC and console versions that launched earlier this year.
What ends is the active-service model around the matches. Riot will stop building the regular flow of seasons, events, and competitive systems that made 2XKO feel like an ongoing platform. The fighters and the basic game are staying; the schedule wrapped around them is not.
Riot says the player base never found a sustainable path
Riot said it reviewed revenue, retention, new-player growth, and engagement before making the decision. The company’s conclusion was that 2XKO costs substantially more to operate than it brings in, while engagement has remained relatively flat instead of growing into a stable long-term audience. Riot also said a small but dedicated part of the fighting-game community connected with 2XKO, even as most players did not stay with it.
PC Gamer reports that 2XKO reached its full release in January 2026 and that Riot had already cut roughly 80 jobs earlier in the year. Those details add context, but they do not change Riot’s narrower explanation: the game did not reach the player and revenue trajectory the company needed.
The change is not proof that every free-to-play fighting game is doomed. It is a reminder that a launch roster and a strong first wave of curiosity are not enough if players do not keep returning week after week.








